Roger Bannister

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win." ~Sir Roger Bannister

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hello

Hello, my name is Molly and this is my first blog post ever! I just graduated from Bucknell University with a degree in geology and to say that I'm passionate about my major would be an understatement! I love everything about geology and science and hope to dedicate my life to learning more about the earth each and every day. In addition to the life changes I am going through as I enter the post-collegiate realm, I am also about to begin training for my first marathon! I have been looking forward to this day since I first started running long distance races 2 years ago. I am excited about the long runs, the tempo workouts, the strength work, and the discipline that marathon training will involve. I figured that a great way to keep me focused on training is to channel my thoughts and emotions throughout the next 14 weeks into this blog!

I am currently in the middle of some days off before I gear up for some of the hardest training of my life, which involves discipline as well. Only a runner would understand how antsy another runner gets after a few days of nothing but laying around! After experiencing some rough patches in my personal life (who needs a boyfriend anyway!?) and some subpar races, I figured a few days off would do the mind and body good. My SI joint will also be happy with a few days of rest before it goes into mega-training mode. I was unfortunately born with hypermobile joints and as one can imagine, having loose ligaments around major joints is not the best thing for a runner...but we all have an achilles heel of some sort and I've found in life that no matter who you are or where you are from, you will always be tested in some way. Luckily I have two great physical therapists that do a stellar job at keeping me healthy. I believe Deena Kastor is the one who commented on how much of a team sport running really is. A runner may be alone on the starting line, but it took a team of coaches, doctors, agents, training partners, family and friend support, and a little faith to get to that starting line.

Therefore, I will end my first post with a HUGE thank you to everyone who has helped support me the past few years both in running and in life. And so it begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment